5.12 HOSPICE CARE
Hospice care provides medical and supportive care to terminally ill patients during the last months of life, and also provides support for the patient’s family. Hospice care is provided by a licensed facility or organization either on an inpatient basis at a Hospice facility or on an outpatient basis at home. Covered Expenses include the following items:
- professional services of a Registered Nurse, licensed practical or vocational nurse, or a home health aide.
- physical, occupational, speech, respiratory or rehabilitation therapy.
- laboratory services, medical supplies, and oxygen prescribed by a Physician.
- Medical Social Services furnished to a terminally ill Participant and his or her immediate family. “Medical Social Services” means those counseling services furnished by a psychiatrist, psychologist, or staff member of a licensed social services agency.
- Bereavement counseling by a licensed social worker or licensed pastoral counselor to assist the family unit during the bereavement period in coping with the death of the terminally ill Participant.